Dr. Stefan Kruczkowski
A member of the UDG since 1998. In 2009 Stefan became one of the first Recognised Practitioners in Urban Design.
With over a decade of experience on the ‘front line’ of the planning system in both development management and policy, Stefan has extensive experience and knowledge of working on major mixed use developments in a variety of contexts and markets. This experience has given Stefan a strong understanding of the scope (and limitations) of the planning system to improve urban design quality, particularly in areas experiencing significant housing led growth with limited public transport infrastructure.
Stefan is co-author of design toolkit ‘Building for a Healthy Life’; endorsed by Homes England, NHS England and NHS Improvement, Urban Design Group and the Home Builders Federation. You can find Building for a Healthy Life in the 'Publications' page at udg.org.uk.
Building for a Healthy Life was primarily created to help local planning officers offer stronger design advice and make better design recommendations on planning applications, particularly those authorities with no in-house urban design expertise.
- Local authority design support (current and past): Blaby, Buckinghamshire (former Chiltern and South Bucks), Cornwall, Derby City, East Staffordshire, Harborough, Hart, Mansfield, Newark and Sherwood, North East Derbyshire, North Northamptonshire Joint Planning and Delivery Unit (Corby, East Northants, Kettering, Wellingborough), North West Leicestershire, Nottingham City, Poole, South Derbyshire, South Northants and Wigan.
- Homes England Building for a Healthy Life advisor.
- Davidsons Homes Design Advisor.
- Design Review Panel Member: Design: Midlands; Design: West; Design for Homes.
- Design Advisor: Meadows Regeneration, Nottingham.
- Guest lecturer: Bond University (Queensland), East Midlands Councils, University of Nottingham, University of Valladolid (Spain), Urban Design Summer Schools.
- Design Council Built Environment Expert (former CABE Enabler).
- Co-author: ‘Redrow 8’.
- Winner: UDG Public Sector Award (2011).
- PhD (Urban Design)
- Fellow Higher Education Academy
- Recognised Practitioner in Urban Design
- Diploma in Town Planning (with urban design) with Distinction
- BA (Hons) Urban Planning and Management