If you are passionate about protecting and improving the natural and built environment, and the quality of life for those in it, Buckinghamshire Council has exciting opportunities for you to join our team of Urban Designers and Landscape Architects.
The Urban Design & Landscape Team is one of 5 new specialist teams that sit within the Planning and Environment Service. You will work collaboratively with these teams, across the service and the wider Council, to advise and support the delivery of high-quality, sustainable places.
About the Role
A new full-time, fixed term Urban Designer role has been created to enable us respond to the growing range of strategic development proposals in Buckinghamshire. In this varied and influential role you will advise internal and external customers on a wide range of proposals and policies, identifying opportunities for the protection of and improvement in the quality and function of the environment.
You will play a leading role in providing design advice in respect to Planning Performance Agreements, pre-application advice, and in assessing the quality of planning applications and infrastructure schemes. You will support the Council’s case at appeal, and will influence the formulation of policy and guidance to ensure the delivery high quality landscape and design outcomes across Buckinghamshire. You may also contribute to or lead on the design and delivery of environmental improvement projects.
You must have professional qualifications and experience of working as a Landscape Architect and/or Urban Designer, and be able to demonstrate sound practical knowledge. You will have excellent negotiation skills and the ability to respond diplomatically and effectively to challenging situations.
You will work flexibly from Council offices and sites across Buckinghamshire, as well as from home up to 3-days per week.
These are full-time, fixed-term roles with scope to increase grade and salary for those with dual qualifications in both Landscape Architecture, Urban Design. You will work within a supportive team of experienced Landscape Architects and Urban Designers, and alongside other specialist teams including Arboriculture, Ecology, Archaeology and Heritage, and the Environmental Records Centre.
You will provide clear, concise professional Landscape Architecture AND/ OR Urban Design advice on behalf of the Council, including:
- The ability to influence the delivery of best practice in Landscape Architecture AND/OR Urban Design;
- The provision of advice to Development Management Teams, relating to Planning Performance Agreements and pre-application advice, development and infrastructure proposals, and will provide expert support in respect to planning appeals;
- Contribution to or lead on the production of policy related to Landscape Architecture AND/OR Urban Design. This may include the preparation of masterplans, briefs, and other policy or guidance as required;
- To lead or contribute to the design and implementation of environmental improvement or infrastructure schemes including HS2 which will run the length of the county.
- Advice from Landscape Officers will require thorough professional appraisal of Landscape and Visual Impact Assessments and sites, collaboration with colleagues, negotiation with customers to achieve Corporate and Departmental objectives;
- A successful applicant with qualifications and experience in BOTH Landscape Architecture and Urban Design would join the Council at a higher grade, and have greater autonomy, responsibility, and opportunities to influence in respect to Landscape Architecture and Urban Design.
Your Skills & Experience
We are looking for self-motivated and passionate professionals who are ambitious and committed to working collaboratively with colleagues, stakeholders and the public to secure the best outcomes.
Successful applicants will have qualifications or equivalent experience in Landscape Architecture, Urban Design, or both.
They will have a full driving licence to enable you to effectively undertake site visits, and will be able to prioritise and organise your work to ensure deadlines are met.
Two positions are available, for 18-month, fixed term contracts with potential for extension.
Career Grade G7-8 £37,742 - £44,888 depending on skills and experience
Closing Date midnight Sunday 17 July 2022
We expect to notify shortlisted applicants week commencing 19th July 2022
We expect to interview week commencing 25th July, in-person at the Council’s High Wycombe offices, consisting of:
- 1-hour exercise
- In-person interview
For an informal chat about this role in more detail, please contact Jonathan Bellars, Urban Design and Landscape Team Leader, on 01296 585367, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Business Unit
Our Planning, Growth and Sustainability directorate work with partners to help shape the future of Buckinghamshire. We deliver services on planning, economic growth, regeneration, strategic infrastructure, transport and property.
Our key priorities include developing the economic narrative for Bucks, creating more jobs and delivering the right infrastructure to help businesses and residents thrive. We also aim to provide a proactive planning service that is responsive, whilst making the best use of the Council’s land and property portfolio. This will in turn support community services and create housing, jobs, regeneration and income to support public services.
It’s a great time to join one of our teams. As part of the Planning, Growth and Sustainability function you will not only get to help shape the economic future of Buckinghamshire; you’ll also be involved in delivering high-profile development projects and work on some of the biggest infrastructure projects in the UK. You will support us to deliver the results that our local residents and businesses deserve.
We have a set of values, which our employees have chosen, that represent what we are – Proud, Ambitious, Collaborative and Trustworthy.
By joining Buckinghamshire Council, you can expect:
- a fair and inclusive culture
- the chance to really make a difference to those around you
- health and well-being initiatives including an Employee Assistance Programme, Mental Health First Aiders and mindfulness workshops
- a unified voice through our Employee Representative Group
- ongoing support, and the opportunity to develop and progress in your career with us
- opportunities to take part in fun activities such as fundraising and social events
We Recognise and Reward you
Hard work and success deserve recognition. That’s why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. We actively encourage a good work-life balance and promote flexible and agile working arrangements. We provide discounts on various Cafés, restaurants, shops and auto enrolment onto our generous Pension Scheme. We also offer a salary sacrifice personal car lease scheme and the opportunity to gain membership to Costco. We have discounted gym memberships, Travel discounts with Arriva and Chiltern Railways and much more.