Regularly voted to be one of the best places to live in the UK, Bristol is celebrated as one of the most liveable cities in the country with a vibrant culture and leisure offer, access to open spaces and within easy reach of the coast and countryside of the Southwest. With a population of nearly 500,000 people and growing, Bristol City Council is determined to make sure this prosperity and the opportunities that come with it benefit everyone through the provision of sustainable, mixed-use, nature rich communities.
We were the first UK city to declare Climate and Ecological Emergencies and we have launched an Action Plan to embed these within programmes and projects across the organisation, and how we consider development proposals coming forward in the City.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join the Council’s Urban Design team; a multi-disciplinary team that supports Development Management in facilitating sustainable, inclusive growth through integrated placemaking.
What will I be doing?
You will be providing expert landscape design support, advocacy and advice to officers and members on development proposals across the City.
On a day-to-day basis you’ll be:
- Ensure that quality landscape proposals are fully integrated into planning proposals, including reviews of visual impact assessments.
- Inputting to the development of guidance and policy for specific sites and areas across the city.
- Coordinating with other disciplines within the team.
What do I need to have?
If you have a passion for creating great places, and experience of working with the public sector, we would welcome an application from you.
We’ll need you to:
- Demonstrate a high level of experience as a landscape specialist working within a regeneration environment and giving effective placemaking advice.
- Have a high degree of autonomy, independently managing your own workload. One day you might be looking at development proposals relating to Bristol’s historic Old City area, the next working on landscape-led regeneration proposals in the City outskirts.
Why Bristol City Council?
At Bristol City Council, we go that extra mile for our people; we offer a work environment which is fast moving and supportive, giving you the chance to use your skills and develop new ones within a high-profile organisation. For the majority of our roles hybrid working arrangements are available, giving teams the opportunity to work in a way that suits them, balancing service need and individual choice - mixing both home and office working.
Join us and you’ll receive an excellent rewards package including flexible working and flexitime, membership of the Local Government Pension scheme, and a generous annual leave allowance. In addition, you’ll be working in a supportive environment where you’ll have the chance to make Bristol a better place and contribute to its future.
How do I apply?
If you share our values and are ready to be part of our exciting journey please select the apply button below.
If you share our values, want to work on really exciting transformational projects and have a passion for working in partnership with communities to create great places, we would be very keen to hear from you.
Closing date: 26 June 2022.
At Bristol City Council, we value having a workforce as diverse as the city we serve. We therefore welcome, develop and promote people from all sections of the community. Appointments will be made on merit.