Architectural Designer or Urban Design Assistant
About the Be First
Be First Design Team is looking to recruit an Architectural Designer or an Urban Design Assistant. This is an exciting opportunity to join an ambitious and growing team that is part of a pioneering urban regeneration company. You will be working on a mix of projects ranging from our small sites programme to large estate regeneration projects and town centre mixed-use developments.
Be First is a pioneering URBAN REGENERATION COMPANY wholly owned by Barking and Dagenham Council and operating independently. Our mission is to capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s best investment and development opportunity to accelerate growth. We aim to help deliver 50,000 new homes and 20,000 jobs in the next 20 years.
The Be First Design Team brings architecture, urban design, landscape architecture and sustainability expertise to all Be First projects to deliver sustainable and bold design that brings joy to residents of the borough. The team is embedded within Be First and works across planning, design and project guardianship
We are looking for exceptional candidates with a passion for public sector housing delivery. The role will involve working on strategic visions, masterplans and feasibility studies within the borough, ensuring high quality and ambitious proposals are embedded into Be First projects. As well as contributing to early-stage design work, the responsibilities will include clienting Be First projects. This will involve supporting senior members of the design team with writing project briefs, attending design team meetings, reviewing detailed drawing packages and guarding quality on site. Projects range from small sites to large area masterplans and visions.
Part of the role will include working with the planning team on design related policy and design codes as well as reviewing planning applications made in the borough.
We are looking for an Architectural or Urban Designer with a range of skills and attributes including:
- RIBA Part II qualified or relevant urban design qualification
- no minimum number of years in practice required but some evidence of previous work experience is preferred
- enjoy working both in a team environment and alone
- be keen to learn and take ownership for tasks
- have strong design skills
- be comfortable visualising, illustrating and presenting ideas
- enjoy solving problems
- have excellent attention to detail
- have an interest in construction and materiality
- have a passion for urban design, architecture and sustainability
- demonstrate a clear passion for public sector led housing delivery and placemaking
- a passion for high quality and sustainable design
- proficiency in Autocad, Sketchup, Adobe Creative Suite and Revit
- good freehand sketching and excellent graphics skills
- good communication, including fluent spoken and written English
Be First is an equal opportunities employer. We encourage applications from groups who are under-represented within the architecture profession, including females, people with disabilities, and people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic backgrounds.
The job description can be found at the following webpage:
Deadline for applications is Friday 15th July 2022