BDP’s Manchester studio has an opportunity for an experienced Urban Designer to join our Urbanism Group. This is a key appointment to support the wider Urbanism team and will suit someone in the early years of their urban design career. The position requires a qualification in either urban planning, architecture or landscape architecture, and preferably, also urban design. You will have relevant experience, preferably from a commercial organisation.
Working in the Urbanism team, you will contribute to a wide range of urban design solutions; from single sites to whole districts, in existing and proposed urban areas, across the UK. You will work closely with architects, landscape architects, town planners and other consultants who work with BDP to deliver our commissions for both public and private sector clients.
Qualifications and Experience
The position requires a qualification in urban design, planning, architecture or landscape architecture. You will have relevant experience, preferably from a commercial organisation.
Typical aspects of experience should include:
- Urban design analysis to support masterplanning and concept urban design
- Urban design frameworks and detailed masterplans, covering a range of development scales and land uses
Responsibilities & Duties
- Support the Urban Design team and wider Urbanism team
- Work in close collaboration with other professions
- Have an awareness and overview of the full design and delivery process, recognising the need for deliverable design solutions and high quality final products
- Keep up-to-date with developments in the industry
- Have a keen interest in urban development, design, and construction
- Work closely with planners, architects, landscape architects and engineers particularly at the early project stages, continually looking for creative and innovative urban design solutions, ensuring that the company adds to its reputation for creating places for people
- Have the skill to convert conceptual ideas into developed design proposals within the context of financial and programme parameters
- Maintain and develop exceptional skills in appropriate visualisation techniques
- Comfortable in AutoCAD and Revit, with good 3D skills along with proficiency in use of all Adobe Creative Suite programmes
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Good understanding of urban design issues
- Well-developed graphic skills
- Ability to work under pressure whilst monitoring goals and communicating with the team
- An ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment and a flexible approach
- Good communication skills with the ability to articulate and pitch ideas both verbally and in written form
Please visit https://careers.bdp.com/urban-designer/811/viewdetails and click the ‘apply now’ button, then complete the online application form. Attach your current CV and a cover letter, stating why your skills, knowledge and experience demonstrate that you suitable for the position.
In addition to your application, please provide a portfolio of design work, clearly highlighting your role in relation to any projects and images provided in support of your application.
BDP is actively fostering an inclusive organisation where people can be themselves and everyone has a sense of belonging. We want our teams to be diverse at every level, reflecting the communities we design for. As designers, we will create spaces for all that promote equity, wellbeing and participation within the built environment. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different skills, professional and life experiences, to join us and help us to achieve our aspirations. We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work flexibly.
BDP is an equal opportunities employer
No agency or third party applications will be accepted