Citydesigner, a leading Townscape and Heritage consultant, is seeking to recruit a dynamic architect and/or urban designer with an interest in heritage townscape, to work as a Scheme Consultant in our practice.
Citydesigner is an architecture, townscape and heritage consultancy led by Richard Coleman, which advises on and assesses development proposals which affect the context of sensitive townscapes, listed buildings, conservation areas, World Heritage Sites, registered landscapes and other historic assets. The consultancy has contributed to some highly prominent recent development projects in London, Dublin and the south of England, including 30 St Mary Axe (‘The Gherkin’), Merrill Lynch’s European Headquarters at Newgate Street, The Holbourne Museum in Bath, ESB HQ in Dublin, Amex HQ in Brighton and the Nova project at Victoria. The consultancy’s clients are diverse and range from Britain’s largest development companies and institutions through to individual owner occupiers. We also collaborate with some of Britain’s best known and most dynamic architects.
The successful candidate will lead a number of prominent development projects and will ideally have experience of working within a team environment, either in private practice or in local government. Good knowledge of the heritage significance assessment process; of historical research methods; of planning guidance relating to new architecture in historic contexts and; of environmental statements.
The consultancy will favourably consider experienced candidates with backgrounds in architecture but will also consider those with a planning background, particularly when they also hold urban design or conservation qualifications. The candidate should have strong presentation skills including verbal, graphic, written and desk-top publishing. Those with less traditional backgrounds in urban design or building conservation, or with experience in historic buildings research, should not, however, be discouraged from applying, as we appreciate a diversity of skills in our 12 strong team.
Our offices are in London, SW1. We offer a pension scheme and loans for travel season tickets to established employees, among other benefits. Remuneration will reflect experience and qualifications, with a starting salary range for the right candidate of £35K + per annum.
- Managing a number of schemes, attending project team meetings, communicating with clients/development and design teams, monitoring design quality, instructing highly qualified assistants, organising work schedules, report production, projecting and managing resource hours and costs, and overseeing invoicing
- Appraising the significance of heritage assets and the contribution made by buildings in conservation areas
- Assessing the quality of new design, its effect on local townscape, important views and affected heritage assets
- Advising on the possibilities for improving design to enable new high quality development in areas of heritage value, with reference to relevant policy andguidance
- Carrying out historical and other research at archives and local authorities to provide independent urban design and conservation appraisals both of existing and imagined environments; preparing townscape assessments and Environmental Statements; and preparing evidence for public inquiries concerning prominent sites in areas of heritage significance
- Supervising desk-top publishing of reports using Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Supervising view studies with specialist visualisers
- Operating London's VuCity model
Interested candidates should send a CV, portfolio and covering letter to: email@example.com