Principal Urban Design Officer
Islington is one of the most vibrant and dynamic parts of London and is experiencing significant growth in housing and employment. The council has adopted progressive planning policies to ensure that all our communities benefit from this growth whilst protecting and enhancing the borough’s unique character. Enhancing the built environment through high quality design is therefore an important Council objective. Furthermore, Islington’s 41 conservation areas (covering at least 50% of the borough) and over 4,500 statutorily listed buildings, which greatly contribute to the character, economy and community pride of the borough, require careful protection and management of change.
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Design & Council Team in the role of Principal Urban Design Officer, working closely with the Council's New Build Team. We are embarking on an ambitious house building plan to tackle the housing crisis. Established in 2009, we have completed over 30 schemes since we began, making us one of the most active house-building boroughs for completed schemes in London.
We are seeking an experienced Urban Design Officer who can help us deliver high quality, new residential and mixed-use development schemes to support our belief that a secure and affordable place to call home is key to helping people achieve their potential and enjoy a good quality of life.
To succeed in this role you will need to demonstrate a commitment to design quality and conservation best practice.
You will have the skills and relevant experience to:
- Take the lead in providing design advice to the New Building team as part of Islington's New Build Housing Programme
- Provide design advice to development management officers, negotiate on development proposals, and contribute to reports at all stages of the planning process
- Provide input to assist in the development of streetscape improvement projects
- Advise on urban design policy and principles
- Help manage and continually improve the Design Review Panel, contributing towards all stages of its process
- Utilise your knowledge and expertise to advise the New Build Housing Team on matters to aid in the speeding up of the delivery of the Programme
- Liaise with a wide range of internal and external partners, stakeholders and interested parties in relation to design matters as part of the application and formal pre-application procedures, contributing to the coordination and evaluation of responses, including resolution of any conflicting issues
- Hold a good working knowledge of other areas of specialisation within Planning in order to understand how they interact with the complexities of the major planning application and New Build Housing programme processes and in particular how they may interact with urban design matters.
If this is you and you want to be part of our ambitious team working to deliver genuinely affordable new homes and high quality design in Islington, then we want to hear from you.
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Claire Sutton on 020 7527 4939 or at email@example.com