National Urban Design Awards 2013
The National Urban Design Awards for 2013 were presented at a prestigious event held at the Royal Overseas League in Londonon 6 February.
Hosted by Amanda Reynolds, the evening showcased some of the best examples of urban design work produced in the UK and beyond over the past 12 months.
Awards were presented in five categories by Janet Tibbalds on the behalf of the Francis Tibbalds Trust. The winners in the Practice, Public Sector and Student Award categories were selected by a vote of the Urban Design Group membership.
This event was generously sponsored by Routledge Publishers, Studio REAL and URBED, with financial prizes being provided by The Francis Tibbalds Trust.
- Allies & Morrison - District //S, Lebanon
- Atkins - Belfast Streets Ahead
- Burns & Nice - Leicester Square Redesign
- Fletcher Priest Architects - Stratford City / 2012 Athletes Village
- New Masterplanning - Filwood Park, South Bristol
- Richards Partington - Derwenthorpe Phase 2, York
Public Sector Award
- City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council - City Park
- Partnership for Urban South Hampshire - SPUD 5X5: Youth Voices in South Hampshire
- City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council - Chain Street Goitside
- Kettering Borough Council - Kettering's Restaurant Quarter
- South Norfolk Council- South Norfolk Place-making Guide
- Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council - Stockton Town Centre Urban Design Guide
- Richard MacCowan, Leeds Metropolitan University - The Gas Works, Canvey: Using the principles of biomimicry to develop an urban design framework on Canvey Island
- Chris Evans, University of West of England -Truman Brewery Film School
- Routledge for The Temporary City by Peter Bishop and Lesley Williams
- Ashgate- Urban Maps, Richard Brook & Nick Dunn,
- Island Press - Making Healthy Places, eds. Andrew L. Dannenberg, Howard Frumkin & Richard J. Jackson
- MIT Press- ReThinking a Lot: The Design and Culture of Parking, Eran Ben-Joseph
- RIBA Publishing - The Plot: Designing Diversity in the Built Environment: a manual for architects and urban designers, Jonathan Tarbatt
- W.W. Norton & Company - Urban Intersections: São Paulo, eds. by Nina Rappaport & Noah Bilken
The Lifetime Achievement Award for 2013 was presented to architect and urban designer Kelvin Campbell for his immense contribution to urban design theory and practice over recent years. Kelvin was co-founder of Urban Initiatives in 1989 and more recently he co-founded the Smart Urbanism Group, one of the largest online communities bringing together sustainable urbanism with social innovation. Kelvin was also lead author of‘By Design’ (CABE) 2000, the national policy document on urban design, and the recent Mayor of London’s ‘Housing Design Guide’, as well as publishing, editing and writing numerous books and articles on urban design, including ‘Re:Urbanism: A Challenge to the Urban Summit’, which led to his latest book MASSIVE SMALL.
The evening concluded with a Special Award for Outstanding Service to the Urban Design Group and Urban Design being presented to John Billingham, founder member of the Urban Design Group and the driving force between so many of the group’s major activities over the past three decades, including Urban Design journal, the Urban Design Directoryand the awards themselves. The award was presented, in the presence of John’s wife and daughters, by UDG Trustee Arnold Linden who praised John’s enormous output, vision and commitment; the UDG is indeed greatly indebted.
View by Category
View by Date
- May 2013 (2)
- April 2013 (1)
- March 2013 (4)
- February 2013 (4)
- December 2012 (2)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2012 (1)
- September 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (1)
- July 2012 (2)
- June 2012 (1)
- May 2012 (23)
- April 2012 (11)
- March 2012 (45)
- February 2012 (48)
- January 2012 (68)
- December 2011 (36)
- November 2011 (47)
- October 2011 (32)
- September 2011 (33)
- August 2011 (21)
- July 2011 (62)
- June 2011 (52)
- May 2011 (44)
- April 2011 (24)
- February 2011 (14)
- January 2011 (9)
- October 2010 (2)
- August 2010 (3)
Urban Design Jobs
Upcoming UDG Events
Unless otherwise stated, all events are held in The Gallery, 70 Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6EJ at 6.30 pm.
Tickets can be purchased at the door from 6.00pm: £3.00 for UDG members and £7.00 non-members; £1.00 for UDG member students and £3.00 non-member students.