Professionals with a suitable balance of education and experience can apply to become a Recognised Practitioner in Urban Design. The distinction provides a wide range of professionals with a valued affiliation (in many cases an additional one), proclaiming their commitment to - and experience of - urban design.
- Urban Design
- Highway and Civil Engineering
- Building Conservation
- Development Control
- Landscape Architecture
- Regeneration and Development
- Transport Planning
- and other professions
Recognised Practitioner membership costs £80.00 per year (or £40.00 additional fee if you are already a member). You may send a cheque with your application but it is not advisable to make any pre-payment before your application has been officially approved.
- Confirmation of receipt of application by UDG office. Any obvious problems with the application will be flagged up at this stage (inappropriate sponsors, insufficient experience etc.)
- Detailed assessment of information submitted within the application by the UDG's Recognised Practitioner assessment panel, made up of a small group from the Executive Committee. The panel will either make a recommendation that the individual should be elected as a Recognised Practitioner, request further information if there is any uncertainty or ambiguity or reject the application.
- The panel's recommedations are then presented to the full UDG Executive Committee at its next meeting, where those present have the opportunity to query the panel's recommendations and on this basis approve or reject the application.
- The full process should take no longer than two months from receipt of the application to a final decision (unless there are any difficult issues to address). The precise length of time largely depends upon when the applications are received in relation to the next full Executive Committee meeting. As a rough guide, these meetings occur every other month - January, March, May, July, September and November - and usually within the first week of that month; therefore applications received by the middle of the preceding month will generally be considered within that 'batch'.
Urban Design Jobs
Upcoming UDG Events
Unless otherwise stated, all events are held in The Gallery, 70 Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6EJ at 6.30 pm.
Tickets can be purchased at the door from 6.00pm: £3.00 for UDG members and £7.00 non-members; £1.00 for UDG member students and £3.00 non-member students.