Urban Design Group AGM followed by Women in Urban Design Debate
The Urban Design Group’s Annual General Meeting will take place from 6pm, including the election of the new Executive Committee and Chair for 2012-13.
To view the UDG Annual Report and Accounts for 2011-12, please see here.
The AGM will be followed at 6:45pm by a debate on Women in Urban Design, a theme selected by our out-going Chair Amanda Reynolds.
Amanda will lead a discussion of the challenges and opportunities experienced by women working in urban design.
Questions to be addressed will include:
- Why are there fewer women in most of the 'property industry' professions in the UK than almost any other OECD country?
- As a 'newer' profession, do women face fewer barriers in urban design than in more traditionally male-dominated professions?
- How can we get more women into leadership roles within the built environment professions?
- Is the conflict between family life and career as pronounced in the field of urban design? Are there different challenges?
- What role does feminism play in attitudes to professional practice?
We are fortunate to have assembled a panel of five successful women in urban design:
- Kathryn Firth - Chief of Design, London Legacy Development Corporation
- Alison Peters - Freelance Consultant in Urban Design & Regeneration
- Irina Merryweather - Associate Director, DLP Consulting Group
- Tava Walton - Senior Project Manager/Planner, Dar Al Handasah
- Theresa Trussell - Kent County Council
All welcome – see you there!
Upcoming UDG Events
Unless otherwise stated, all events are held in The Gallery, 70 Cowcross Street, London EC1M 6EJ at 6.30 pm.
Tickets can be purchased at the door from 6.00pm: £3.00 for UDG members and £7.00 non-members; £1.00 for UDG member students and £3.00 non-member students.